According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention one in three adults age 65 and older will experience a fall. Falls can cause mild to severe injuries and are the number ONE cause of injury related death of seniors. Here are some more quick statistics:
- People aged 65 and older account for 85% of fall related deaths.
- In 2009, 2.2 million older adults were treated for injuries in emergency rooms with about one quarter of them being admitted to the hospital.
- Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBI).
- In 2000, the direct medical costs of falls totaled over $19 billion.
- Falls among men age 65 and older have increased over the past decade.
- Many older adults who experience falls develop a fear of falling and may limit their activity which leads to reduced mobility and loss of physical fitness. This can lead to even more falls!
The bathroom is perhaps the most likely room in the house where accidents occur. People of all ages can benefit from bath safety equipment to increase balance, safety and prevent injury. Bathroom safety is so much more than affixing the old fashioned non-skid tape to the bottom of the tub. The innovative products of today can not only prevent accidents, but also make life easier for people with unsteady balance and those recovering from an injury, illness, or surgery.
It may appear costly to outfit your home or your loved one’s home with bath safety equipment, but when compared to the cost of a hospital stay, it seems like quite a deal! When it comes to falls in the home, prevention is the key. Good Day Pharmacy carries a wide selection of ambulatory aids, lift-chairs and security poles to increase the balance and comfort of the ones we love.